Mold becomes “toxic” or “allergic” when mold spore levels are significantly greater inside than outside.
Mold grows in dirt and a wide variety of other materials; unexpected things like oranges and the dirt in houseplants. Mold becomes toxic when the amount of mold that you are breathing is more than the outside air. Mold is sometimes referred to as “toxigenic” which means that some people will have some kind of a response to some mold under some conditions. Wow – that’s a challenge to understand!! Bottom line is this: your DNA will control your mold response. The longer you are exposed and the higher the levels the more likely it is that your body will respond. That response can be the sniffles or something far worse.
Water Causes Mold to Grow
Mold needs water and cellulose (like the stuff in sheetrock) to grow. So water from a leaking roof gets absorbed by sheetrock. Within 48-72 hours mold will begin to grow. The more water the faster the mold growth. Here’s a link to companies that do professional drying. You can’t do dry out a building after a water event without professional equipment and training.
All (ALL!!!) of the sources of water need to be found and stopped. Otherwise, all the money you spend doing this will be wasted. The mold has a high probability of returning from unfixed and/or new water leaks. Contact Us to schedule your mold inspection today.