If there is visible discoloration or mold growth on a cloth item, it should be discarded or professionally cleaned.
- Wash a single load and wash for three complete cycles using the hottest water possible.
- Use regular detergent combined with a small amount of bleach, if appropriate. Bleach does not kill mold – that’s an urban myth.
- After three cycles, wipe down the interior of the washing machine bin with a baby wipe or a Lysol- type of wipe. A damp paper towel will work.
- Dry laundered items.
- During the drying cycle check the lint filter frequently. Clean it out and replace.
- Keep drying until the lint filter can’t collect any more lint.
- Smell the items. If they are moldy smelling, they need to be discarded and replaced. If the items have a high monetary or sentimental value please contact a professional mold remediation company before discarding.