Rhizopus toxic mold may cause allergic reactions like asthma and hay fever in genetically sensitive people. Rhizopus toxic mold is considered an allergen and pathogenic, but not known to be toxigenic.
- Allergen: coughing and sniffles
- Toxigenic: young, sick, and elderly
- Pathogenic: everyone
See More Here
Rhizopus is often found in the forest and cultivated soils, in decaying fruits and vegetables, or animal dung and compost. It is found to be a parasitic plant pathogen on potato, cotton, and various fruits. If you can be seen it is black and white and disseminated as a dry spore by the wind.
For indoor growth, this fungus is most commonly found on spoiling food. As an allergen, it has been known to cause Type I allergy symptoms including hay fever and asthma as well as Type III allergy symptoms including hypersensitivity pneumonitis, paprika splitter’s lung, wood trimmer’s lung, or “sawmill” lung.
As a pathogen, it has been known to cause zygomycosis which occurs primarily in patients suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis (rhinocerebral disease), malnutrition, severe burns, or those who are immunocompromised. It is not known to be a toxigenic agent.
Additional information can be found at EMLab Fungal Library.
Want to schedule an onsite inspection in San Francisco? Get a Quote.
Need an onsite inspection outside the San Francisco Bay Area? Find a Pro Here.