Paecilomyces toxic mold may cause allergic reactions similar to hay fever and asthma in genetically sensitive individuals.
Paecilomyces is seldom pathogenic, but it has been known to cause infections in immunocompromised patients.
Paecilomyces is considered toxigenic.
- Allergen: coughing and sniffles
- Toxigenic: young, sick, and elderly
- Pathogenic: everyone
See More Here
Paecilomyces is often found in soil, decaying plant material, composting processes, legumes, cottonseed, and some species of parasitic insects. It generally has an ocher or lilac coloration. It is distributed as a dry spore by the wind.
For indoor growth, Paecilomyces has been found on common items such as jute fibers, paper, PVC, timber (oak wood), optical lenses, leather, photographic paper, cigar tobacco, harvested grapes, bottled fruit, and fruit juice undergoing pasteurization. Paecilomyces are thermophilic and can grow in temperatures from 98.6°F up to 131°C.
Paecilomyces an allergen, it has been known to cause hay fever and asthma as well as Type III symptoms including hypersensitivity pneumonitis and humidifier lung. Paecilomyces has been known to cause myopic keratitis in conjunction with corneal implants, nosocomial infections, endocarditis, and infections in immunocompromised patients.
Paecilomyces, as a toxigenic agent, produces
- byssochlamic acid,
- indole-3-acetic acid
Additional information can be found at EMLab Fungal Library.
Want to schedule an onsite inspection in San Francisco? Get a Quote.
Need an onsite inspection outside the San Francisco Bay Area? Find a Pro Here.