Before 1979 lead was added to paint to create more long-lasting colors and to adhere to surfaces better.
Lead worked great and kept paint colors vibrant, but lead tastes sweet, Soon children figured out the window sill was sweet so they chewed on it. But there’s a big problem with lead – it can cause permanent brain damage in children under 7.
Lead is a mineral mined in the US primarily in Virginia. This mineral is ground up and added to basic materials. Previously it was added to paint. Lead was added to paint to make it last longer and intensify the color. The lead made the paint sweet – that why kids will chew on a window sill or banister.
Today lead is used in batteries, pigments, ammunition, cable sheeting, weights for lifting, weight belts for diving, lead crystal glass, radiation protection, and in some solder.