Lead-based paint can cause permanent brain damage in children under seven. And it’s not good for the rest of us.
Lead is a mineral mined in the US primarily in Virginia. This mineral is ground up and added to basic materials. Previously it was added to paint. Lead was added to paint to make it last longer and intensify the color. The lead made the paint sweet – that why kids will chew on a window sill or banister.
Today lead is used in batteries, pigments, ammunition, cable sheeting, weights for lifting, weight belts for diving, lead crystal glass, radiation protection, and in some solder.